Monday, April 24, 2017

Week 14: Web Comics

This week I read some of the Cucumber Quest web comic. (http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/cq/page-1/)

Previous to this week, I had never read a web comic, although I've heard so much about them and I've had friends write them themselves. I chose to read this webcomic purely stylistically. I tend to be a very visual person, and the aesthetics of a comic can greatly sway my opinion on the piece, and I fell in love with the style of Cucumber Quest. I had never seen a comic done in this style before, and that aspect really drew my into the story.



I was really impressed by the aesthetics because of its painterly quality, and pastel color scheme. The style is very illustrative and simplified, yet perfectly detailed to differentiate the characters and make the storyline easy to follow. Aside from that, I also thoroughly enjoyed the added humor in the story, it felt very current in terms of style, and was presented nonchalantly throughout the series.



I found that web comics have a special quality to them. They allow artists to write and illustrate their own stories, publishing them in their own formats, for everyone to read. It seems like the most effective form of comics, in that it is a platform in which the artist can do whatever they want and present their story to readers at a free or low cost basis. That being said I found this format incredibly important and unique in that it allows anyone to be a comic artist and get their ideas out and into the public. Since the comics are published online and are generally non-profit, the artist isn't bound to certain rules or regulations on what should or shouldn't be in each "issue".


No comments:

Post a Comment