Monday, April 24, 2017

Week 13: Reconsidering The Superhero

This week I started to read Ms Marvel. I have heard such good things about the comic, and after seeing it on the reading list for this week, I knew I had to read it. Marvel has an amazing way of reinventing their classic superheroes and I’ve always been interested to see how they handle each character change. That being said, I knew Ms Marvel was going to be a redesign, but I wasn't sure how they were going to handle it.

Perhaps I’m biased but I was very pleasantly surprised and entertained by the character of Kamala Khan. She is portrayed with such a realistic teen mindset, and the struggles she faces have a very humanistic feel. The character is quite easily likeable and I thoroughly enjoyed reading the series. I couldn’t stop reading and ended up finishing the whole first run of the series over the weekend.



This was the first mainstream comic in which I saw extreme and well thought out diversification in character and story. The main character’s Muslim upbringing and culture is very well portrayed and done so in a very respectful and appropriate manner. I believe that this form of representation is extremely important in today's society. Not only does this type of comic help people of that culture connect with the character, but it also helps inform readers of a culture they might be misinformed on, or not know much about.

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed the series, and look forward to reading the next run of the comic. Marvel always has such talented artists and writers on their team, and I was happy to see some of my favorite comic artists work in the series as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment