Monday, March 20, 2017

Week 9: European Comics Tradition

This week I read Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi. I had heard so much about this comic, and its film adaptation a few years back. So I was excited to see what all the hype was about. I wasn't let down! The comic is striking in multiple ways. First–and most obviously–the graphics. The artist chose to illustrate the comic with only 100% black and white. No use of grey tones. I found this very interesting and–as a graphic designer–pleasing. By doing so the graphics are very harsh and simplified looking. This aspect makes the comic simplified and easy to look at.



















I also found the story, and the issues that the comic deals with, to be incredible striking. A topic thats been so prevalent in todays society, I found it interesting to hear and see a first hand account of a child growing up and dealing with religious and personal conflicts first hand. The graphic elements and personal feeling of the work, make a compelling and informative story that really paints a picture of what life was like for the author. 



1 comment:

  1. I have never heard of this comic, or the movie adaptation but after reading your own words about the piece of art I feel compelled to read it. I'm assuming its in the ballpark of "Maus" or
    "Blankets", and both of those works are marvelous. The exception obviously is the culture difference and I haven't read many autobiographical works from a woman's point of view. Thank you for your positive review.

    ReplyDelete