Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Week 10: Manga

This week I (re)read the first volume of Death Note, by Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata. I chose to read this manga because I had read the series way back when I was in middle school, and I remember being head over heels in love with it at the time.

Manga helped push me into the art field, and although I didn't recall most details of the story in Death Note, I do remember admiring the art. That being said, delving into Japanese manga this week, I have noticed some differences between manga and the American comics we know. Most obviously would be the artistic style. Manga seems to be a relatively detailed form of comics, with exaggerated aspects such as larger eyes and hash-sharper angles. Aside from stylistic differences, the themes also seem to be different. Specifically when reading Death Note, the manga deals with a darker and more complex theme then most American comics I have seen. Perhaps this is because they are targeting a different audience.

That being said, I wasn't sure what to expect reading Death Note for a second time. I didn't think I would like it as much as hyped up 12 year old me did, however, I found myself liking the story. The concept behind the story is very heavy and well thought out. The theme is complex and deals with tough questions that the reader can ask themselves throughout the storyline.


No comments:

Post a Comment